Monday, May 07, 2007

Still here...

Yes I am still alive. Just.

It has been a shocking few weeks with the incredibly sad death of our good friend Mark following on the heels of the death of our beloved puppy Chester. My friends and I have been deeply affected by Mark's death and words cannot express how emotional the funeral was and the deep sympathy we all feel for his family and his fiancee Jo (or Joey Jo Jo). I cannot comprehend losing my partner at such a young age and was very impressed at her strength and humour on the day. We have now buried one of our own. I think we all aged a little this week.

Moving house from the Secret Suburb to a less secret suburb North of the river has also been somewhat stressful. I LOVE the new place, the location and the actual house are awesome, exactly what we needed. We just need to get past the unpacking stage to really feel settled. Oh and we have 10 days to rid the old house of 3 years of grime... time is ticking away.

Oh, did I also mention I recently started paid work for the first time in almost a year? I decided to start doing temp work and am onto my second assignment. This one should go for about four weeks and is something to do with coordinating cable TV & internet installations. Exactly what I'm yet to find out! First day was today, I spent a lot of it bored watching other people work, but hey, it's money, right?

I have been doing some good rockstar type stuff in between all the sadness & movingness - it does help to take your mind off things. A gig last Friday, another one in a few weeks, recording sessions (according to Tom the album is 86.6% ready) and radio DJ action have meant I've had no spare time whatsoever, which at the moment is probably a very good thing.

Hey something pretty freaky happened on the day of Mark's funeral... it was in Sydney and first we went to the church in some suburb, then drove for some time to the cemetery, and then more driving to a golf club for the wake. I need to explain something here. Mark's running joke was always to ask me and his fiancee Jo when the two of us were going to jelly wrestle. He used to constantly concoct elaborate plans to make it happen (none of them were ever actually put into action, which I'm quite glad about since even though Joey's half my size she'd probably kick my ass). So, anyway, there we were, driving along the M5 or something between the funeral and the cemetery, and along the side of the highway are telegraph poles. Stuck on the poles are posters advertising... jelly wrestling.

Now I don't know about you, but I have never seen a poster for Jelly wrestling in my life. Until Friday. I don't believe in heaven or reincarnation or any of that stuff, but I swear Mark was behind it. WAY too much of a coincidence otherwise.

Anyway it's 12:15am and I might actually have to do some work at work tomorrow so I think I'd better call it stumps. Goodnight!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I love things like the jelly wrestling posters, I really believe it's little signs like that that truly show that death doesn't mean everything is over, and if you are open to them, the signs are there to show you this.

I can't even imagine how sad it would be to lose a friend, but I think little signs like that would put my mind at ease, at least.

Glad you are still alive, very excited to hear you moved and hooray for more gigs!

May 08, 2007 6:48 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Glad to see you're still around, even though things aren't so great at the moment.

I agree with you- I think Mark was behind the jelly wrestling posters. It must be terrible to lose a friend at any age, but especially so young.

xx

May 08, 2007 12:19 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Aw, man, you really are having a rough trot... Poor chook!

I TOTALLY think your mate Mark was behind the jellywrestling... totally! Like D'Jen said, signs are all around if you want to see them, I reckon. Not that I am going to go all Ghost Whipserer on you, I just believe that coz little things happened when my bro passed away that was just way too co-incidental for it to be flukes! Still, I'm very sad that you lost your friend so young and that your other friend lost her partner :(

Huzzah for the paid work and the new place!!

May 09, 2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger Jac said...

So good to hear from you, but sorry that the news is not great :( It's just horrible to have anyone close to you die. I feel for you.

It's good to hear that you were able to find a place and are settling in nicely!! And good that you're earning a bit of dough on the side, too. Good work!

Keep the updates up! we miss you!!

May 09, 2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

Missin' you guys.

June 04, 2007 2:42 PM  
Blogger The Candid Bandit said...

I absolutely believe in signs like that. Beyond the grave? Sure.

This is the first time I've read you. Im sorry this has been an awful time for you.

I was highly impressed with your Dears story (anticlimax and all). You write the way I expect you'd talk. Does that sound weird?

June 17, 2007 12:13 AM  
Blogger Books and Tea For Two said...

I am sorry about your friend - thats so sad.

June 20, 2007 6:41 AM  
Blogger Brennig said...

Babe,

Lemme/us know wossnew.

Gagging fer news about yer newsiness fings!

August 16, 2007 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home