Thursday, February 22, 2007

Open Toasted Sandwich of Awse

I thought I would share with you something that has been brightening the middle of my day for a few weeks now. Obviously the variations are endless, but this is how I do it!!

OPEN TOASTED SANDWICH OF AWSE
(formerly known as the Open Toasted Sandwich of Awes - Thanks Jac!)
  • Toast 2 slices of Country Life Performax bread (yes you can use any bread but this stuff is healthy, low GI, blah blah blah & yummy!)
  • Smear both slices with a layer of low fat cottage cheese (home brand will do)
  • Add a layer of low fat ham, low fat turkey or one of those yummy little cans of flavoured tuna/salmon. (Put several slices of ham or whatever on each to ensure you get enough protein.)
  • Add a layer of sliced beetroot (yes from the can - try a low sodium one)
  • Top with a handful of rocket (Half on each - don't forget to rinse it. If you're not sure, rocket is sort of like lettuce only way tastier. Use lettuce if you prefer. You can buy "wild rocket" in a 100gm pack for $1.98 from Coles. This will be enough for about a week)
  • Slice some fresh tomato on top of the rocket. (I prefer vine ripened to regular: they're more tasty but a bit more pricey!)
  • If you grow fresh herbs shred a couple of basil leaves on top, otherwise a sprinkle of the dried stuff will do fine. Or if it's too hard, go without.
  • Add a smidge of salt - (I prefer Vegie Salt) - and a little grind of black pepper and VOILA!


This is a delicious lunch or even breakfast, with a good balance of protein, carbs & vegies. I'm not going to make any claims as to the fat content etc but I know it is very healthy. Guys can probably use 3 or 4 slices of toast, either make each one a "closed" sandwich, or simply make 3-4 open ones.

This meal could be prepared at work at lunchtime if you have access to a toaster, a sharp knife to cut the tomato, and a fridge to store everything. Oh and a plate would be handy. It only takes about 5 minutes to put together if you have everything in the fridge.

Let me know if you try this... and any tasty variations you come up with!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jac said...

yuummmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh man that sounds (and looks) good.

Hmmmmm I was going to ask you something but now I've forgotten what it is. It was totally unrelated to this post... hmmmmmmmmm. This is gonna drive me crazy. I'll come back when I remember

February 22, 2007 11:31 PM  
Blogger Jac said...

OH I know what it is now.

And it is kinda related to this post..

Ok, I've been saying "Awse" for ages now, long before I ever heard/read you say it, and I disagree with your spelling!! I know Awes is the literal shortening of awesome, but it doesn't look right! It looks like you'd pronounce it "oars". I suggest you adapt to my spelling immediately so as to not cause me any more mental anguish.

This has been a community service announcement.

Awse.

February 22, 2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

You know Jac, I think you just might be a genius!

Writing this word down has always bugged me. It makes sense when you say it, but it never looks right on paper (or screen). Thankyou for sharing your genius with me, I will change it immediately!!!

PS Wow! I never thought I'd find a bigger spelling nazi than me!!! YAY!

February 23, 2007 10:39 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yippee for spelling Nazis, the awse/awes thing always bugged me too.

As for the sandwich, now I'm hungry.

February 23, 2007 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home