Monday, February 26, 2007

Rubbing shoulders with celebs & other stories...

Woohoo! I just spent the funnest evening... filing!

Well ok not that fun really, but it does feel good getting it out of the way. All part of the Great Cleanout Of 2007. Cleaned out my wardrobe the other day too. Threw out clothes that I have literally had for seven or eight years. In the bin. Yay!

Met Caroline Tran last week.

Paris & I went to a gig at the Corner which we knew she was going to be at. We had the intention of saying hi to her but I pretty much expected it to be a waste of time. Because usually I'm a wuss. And also these things never go as planned.

But I found myself watching the Vasco Era blow everyone away, sandwiched between JJJ's Caroline Tran (Home & Hosed, the J's Australian music show) and RRR's Richard Moffatt (Incoming, RRR's Oz music show). Now is that the holy grail for a Melbourne indie rock chick or what??? So I decided it was now or never...

So I mustered all my braveness and tapped Caroline on the shoulder, just as she was about to walk away. She was really lovely and chatted to me for well longer than she had to about the band, and other musicy, radioy stuff. She totally remembered my band and the name of our EP, and gave some very specific feedback about the music. Which I very much appreciated. I know it would be very easy for someone in her position to piss in my pocket and tell me it's wonderful, but she was very honest and said what she does and doesn't like about it. Upon reflection I wonder whether possibly she thought I was the manager & not a band member, because she kept referring to the band as "they" and not "you". I think she must've figured it out eventually, especially when I said "this is our manager, Paris." But regardless, she was very friendly and I will make sure I keep in touch.

At my sister's birthday party on Sat night I met a guy whose mother now lives in one of the houses I grew up in. Weird. He also grew up in the town I spent my first 10 years in, and his cousin was one of my best friends in primary school. Small world. We caught up on lots of country town goss and spent a lot of time talking about music. He's a guitar player - heavier music than what I do, but an interesting perspective on the industry nonetheless.

I don't think I've talked much about my sister yet, which is weird because we're pretty close. She is seeing a new boy and she's very excited about him. He seems very sweet and they're cute together. I hope it works out, she has not had the best luck with guys recently. I think he will get along well with Adam, although of course he's nowhere near as hilarious. Duh.

They were having a pool party at my parents' place, on the half built deck which is literally bigger than my house. Dad was away on a golf weekend, and had put the fear of god in me that no-one was to walk on the unfinished bits of deck. Yes I'm still scared of my dad. So I acted all grown up and told kids to get off twice. (When I say kids I mean less old adults) I also did other grown up things like make the salad, stay out of the pool (it was freezing!) cook the BBQ and drive home at 12:30am. I'd had a biggish Friday night and woken up with a cold - again - so wasn't really in the mood to be there anyway. So I graciously declined all but one cocktails offered to me and was tucked up in bed by 1am.

Friday night was pretty fun, saw a few bands at the Laundry and caught up with a friend from the business course I did last year. Paris knows him randomly & he was there to see her really, but I managed to monopolise him hehehe. She was too busy off flirting with the guys from the Sydney band who were playing. Not sure whether she scored... I got fed up with drinks being dropped round my ankles (not by me) at about 3am and walked to my car.

Halfway to my car I realised I possibly wasn't sober enough to drive, so bought the biggest bag I could find of Honey Baked Ham chips and scoffed the lot. I possibly still wasn't quite under the limit (yeah i know, how much difference could a bag of chips make anyway? it made complete sense to my almost-sober-enough-to-drive logic though.) but did so anyway without incident.

Set my alarm for early so I could give Chester his tablets, snoozed a bit and ended up giving them to him at quarter past 9, half an hour later than usual. By this time he was huffing and puffing and not interested in food, so the next 20 mins was spent with me shoving tablets mixed with dog food down his throat. Not pleasant for either of us. He spat out one tablet about 12 times until I finally crushed it into a paste and just wiped it all over his mouth so he had to lick it off. It sounds cruel I know, but if he doesn't have those tablets his heart will probably fail so it's for the best. He was pretty crap all day but better by the evening and totally fine the next day. What a pain not being able to sleep in even half an hour!! It will be very nice to be able to share this responsibility eventually.

The Oscars music is making me feel sick, it's so schmalzy!! I think it's time it went off.

Does anyone think Grey's Anatomy may be going down a weird road this year? I don't know, I just have a dodgy feeling about this season so far. All two episodes of it, i know, give it time, but you have to admit the situation with Meredith is a bit silly. I'm still enjoying it, but just wondering whether it's gone too far. As most good things, especially TV shows, eventually do.

BTW - very happy for people to speculate about this but please don't spoil it if you can see into the future!!

The gym is still going well, I've surprised everyone especially myself by continuing to go every day except Sunday. Gym six days a week!!! ME??!!!

I'm improving almost every time, although I did have a few dud cardio workouts last week - just couldn't push as hard as I had the week before. But the last one was much better so hopefully just a temporary slump. I did the Calf Exercises Of Death today so no doubt won't be able to walk for the next 3 days.

Alright I think I've crapped on enough for now... sorry I know everyone else manages beautifully structured posts with a point, but I seem to have a penchant for rambling. Take care chickens!! XO

3 Comments:

Blogger Sloth said...

Good to get advice from people, even Caroline Tran, but remember in the end hers is only one opinion. So don't change for one person.
Having never heard you I have no opinion.

February 27, 2007 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rambling is good, keep it up!

tw

February 27, 2007 11:40 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yay for meeting Caroline Tran. She is indeed a fun celebrity to be rubbing shoulders with (although, personally, I think I would die if I ever ran into Robbie Buck... could that man be more attractive in all his nerdy goodness? I think not). Also good to get some feedback!

Shame you can't sleep in, but Chester does need his medicine, so you're right- it's for the best :)

February 27, 2007 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home