Sunday, February 04, 2007

Your help please...

Ok so as part of my quest to be a better rock chick, I have decided to form a duo of sorts with my friend Hayley. Hayley and I studied music together at uni, and she's a great singer/singing teacher. Over the past few years I have had singing lessons with her on and off - which usually translated to singing for half an hour and then catching up on the latest gossip for another two hours. Which was fun but maybe not overly productive.

Now that I am having lessons from Mr Expert, I have decided to get together with Hayley once a week and practise songs that we can perform together. My goal by mid year is to have a repertoire of 12 songs that we can play at performance level. Whether or not we do an actual performance, I need the pressure of a deadline and regular rehearsals to get this happening.

So, we are meeting on Tuesday for the first time, and I want us to pick our first 6 songs to work on. This is where you guys come in. I would love your suggestions, dear bloggers, on what songs could work as an acoustic duet for two girls.

To give you an idea I'm thinking we'll probably do a Neko Case song, and we'll look at other current girl sings like Martha Wainwright, Feist, etc. But I'm very open to suggestion - nothing too cheesy please!! You might even know of a song sung by a guy that could work well sung by girls. Either a duet or something with killer backing harmonies would be idea. The classics or current stuff will all be considered... but bear in mind it has to be able to be performed by 2 girls with acoustic guitars and maybe a piano/tambourine. No cheesy backing tracks thanks!! So "U Can't Touch This" is out I'm afraid!

Ok it's all yours...

11 Comments:

Blogger Enny said...

Emiliana Torrini's "Fisherman's Woman" is nice (and short!) and I'm obsessed with Regina Spektor's "Samson" at the moment...?

February 04, 2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

The first one that came to mind was "London Still" by the Waifs. Even better, if you have ever heard of it, would be "Okay" by Eat the Menu.

There may be more after I have thought about it for a while...

February 04, 2007 9:14 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

"One Week" by the Barenakedladies.

February 05, 2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

Enny - great ideas! I have both those albums, but hadn't thought of them. Fisherman's Woman is beautiful, I worked out the chords last night.

INCraig - I do have the Waifs on my list... but there's a bit of baggage there. I used to work at Borders and they used to play it on repeat - AARGGHH!!! Should be illegal, it has ruined so much good music for me!

Hmmm Eat the Menu... Having done some heavy duty googling the best I could come up with was a myspace site for The Mercy Bell with not much on it, not sure if its them or not. Confused!

Adam - Is this a serious suggestion? Come on, you know my memory capacity is almost zero. How on earth do you expect me to learn that many lyrics crammed into such a quick song??
Anyway, didn't you read the brief? Two girls, acoustic guitars and pianos... that's not supposed to be FUN!!!


Keep the suggestions rolling in folks, I'll let you know after tomorrow what we decide to start with...

February 05, 2007 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you came up on my google blog alert for Martha Wainwright, but I have a suggestion for you.

Anything by Regina Spektor, although "Fidelity" and "Somedays" are particular favorites.

February 06, 2007 3:28 AM  
Blogger Sloth said...

I had a completely ramdom thought of Mercy Seat by Nick Cave.

February 06, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

So Public Enemy is out?!? Both The Vengaboys and Aqua came up with some catchy duets.

What about that song that Hayley does with that other girl?

Also:

Air
Moon Safari (1998)
All I need

has some super nice harmonies but it might need a keyboard rather than a piano.

February 06, 2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Destiny - Zero 7

February 06, 2007 11:01 AM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

"Unhand My Baked Goods" by We're Not A Band.

February 06, 2007 2:54 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Eat the Menu did indeed change their name to the Mercy Bell, which has to be one of the worst ideas a record company ever came up with. Then again, the actual names suggested by the record company were even worse (from memory, they included Sunflower. And Tugboat)

Yes, I know way too much about this band.

February 06, 2007 10:50 PM  
Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

Minor anti-climax peoples - we had our first rehearsal yesterday... and decided on only two songs. Seems like we're going to pick one or two songs every week as we go.

The first 2 cabs off the rank are:

-"That Teenage Feeling" by Neko Case
Good vocal range - a couple of highish notes, great harmonies
-"Fisherman's Woman" by Emiliana Torrini - thanks Enny!
Great piano part! No harmonies so I will be doing this one solo. I have to practise it for a few weeks and then show Hayley. Scary!

Thanks heaps for all the other suggestions, now I have more time to investigate them further. I particularly like the Nick Cave suggestion... just the sort of random thing I was looking for... don't know this song though so will have to find a copy. Adam, those 2 are perfect, Bevis - I'm guessing this may not be a serious suggestion?? Where do you come up with such random shit?? Do they have a website? Even if we don't sing it it sounds interesting...

February 07, 2007 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home