Friday, January 12, 2007

Warning: this may put you off your dinner...

This afternoon when Chester and I went for a walk we came across this:




















I guess this baby bird must have fallen out of its nest. How sad. I guess what struck me was its nakedness - not a single feather on the creature, and its size - large enough to be a fully formed bird but still quite tiny. In an attempt to show how small it was I took this:



















I'm not quite sure if that has the effect I was looking for but anyway the poor blighter was only a few inches long. I wonder if his parents pushed him out of the nest or he fell all by himself. Stupid parents for having a nest so high above a concrete ground, really. Should have been in a nice low tree branch with soft grass below to cushion his fall. It was quite grotesque, just baking there in the sun. No way I was touching it though. Even Chester kept a respectful distance.

Oh FYI Chester seems a bit better today. He didn't collapse or anything on our walk and in fact we made a few new friends. He is a very popular puppy, everyone wants to have a pat and a chat. Even the scary bogan blokes drinking out the front of the bottle-o round the corner. Who needs a pub really when you can just sit outside the local strip shops and heckle poor young girls on their way to the post office? In their defence though, they were actually quite friendly behind the tattooed, mulleted facade. And two of them claimed to have dogs just like him. Ha! Guys like that should have pit-bulls, not chihuahuas!!!

Graveyard shift last night was fun!!! Played vinyl for the first time - Babooshka (all this talk of Kate Bush gave me a hankerin') and Bros - Drop the Boy. Rock on.

Ok better go, two gigs to go to tonight...

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Ew, I couldn't have stopped to look at the baby bird if I was walking past, I feel all useless when I see things like that because it's too late to do anything helpful.

Sometimes the whole nature thing can be so harsh, it's so sad when the babies die/get eaten. They should eat/kill the older animals they are always much less cute.

January 13, 2007 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, if cuteness was a factor on who deserves life, then I would have been put down a long time ago Jen lol!

It's so sad to see the poor little dead bird... I wish I could do more to help animals too. I tried to save a gecko last night... I dont know if I suceeded though :(

deb

January 13, 2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Mars said...

far out, we need a new post... i can't handle looking at that overgrown egg any longer!

January 14, 2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

Fair enough Mars... ask and ye shall receive!

January 14, 2007 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home