Thursday, January 11, 2007

Brain Dump

Lots of random thoughts in my head today that I feel like sharing...

Firstly - YAYAYAYAYYYYY!!!!!! Just found out that Wilco - one of my all time favourite bands - are coming to Australia!!! SO excited!! Details here if anyone's interested...

Chester has not been himself since I got back from Brisbane. He was staying with Amber, his other mummy, and her partner Justin while I was away, and when I picked him up from their place he was acting all sulky and sad. I put it down to him not being impressed about moving again. He didn't eat his dinner. The next day though, when I was walking him, he slowed to a stop, and then went to take a step and his legs buckled underneath him. I had to carry him the rest of the way home. He felt all limp like a rag-dog. It was a bit scary.


He seemed okayish the rest of the day, and even ate all of his dinner, but much less active than usual. Usually he follows me round like, well, like a puppy dog. Yesterday and today he's spent most of the time lying on the ground, following me with his eyes instead. Today when I took him on a short walk, he seemed quite content, if a little slower than usual, then all of a sudden, he laid down on the grass. On the median strip in the middle of the road. This is not like him at all. He doesn't even like grass! I wish I knew what was going on. Hopefully the new medication will sort it out. I've got the capsules but they're too big for him. Amber was supposed to get them halved while I was away but forgot. Oh well... hopefully he'll be ok. It does feel like he's rapidly getting very old though, which is a bit sad.

Got excited tonight and plugged the new mic I got for Christmas into the new amp I got before Christmas (yes I am spoilt) - and it didn't work. I realised pretty quickly what was wrong - the Beta 87A is a condenser mic which requires phantom power. Most PAs have this, but my little keyboard amp doesn't. I would need to use a pre-amp or some other power supply. Bugger.

It was HOT here today. I loved it - well over 30c, dry heat, clear blue skies, perfect. It's only now, after midnight when it's still about 25c, that it feels a bit stifling.

We found out recently that our good friend Sandra is getting married. I found out that she is having seven bridesmaids. Seven!! And was a little bit miffed to realise I am not one of them. Now I know she is an awesome girl with heaps of very close friends, but I count her amongst my closest couple of friends in Melbourne, and it hurts a little bit to know that I didn't make the top seven. But when you consider two of the girls are from overseas and another two are family members, there are really only three girls from here who got the gig - and she has known them a lot longer than me. So I shouldn't be upset. And I'm not, really, just a little... miffed was a good word, let's use it again.

I killed a spider in my laundry today. With a rolled up newspaper and a good thwack. This is unusually brave for me. Me who gets the house exterminated each year so I don't have to deal with spiders...

Got a banjo complete with player for Christmas from Bevis - a generous re-gift from him.

Got the original version of "Don't Give Up" from TT
- it is still a rather sickly song but certainly a better performance by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush than our own Nollsie and Nat. The quiver in Kate Bush's vocal certainly does sound like perhaps there was some smoochy smoochy between her and Gabriel, and as I said to TT, why wouldn't you go for her with those sexy leotards??? Rowr!!


Had a very long band meeting last night - watched the footage from our last show and discussed how we looked. I looked hot.

Seriously though it was good to see it and for everyone to realise that every single thing they do or don't do is exposed for scrutiny by the audience. Sometimes when you play a lot of gigs its easy to forget that people are looking at you, if that makes sense. We also discussed the fact that everyone needs to put in equal effort in terms of promoting the shows. It was good that Paris brought this up because I have been feeling this way for a long time, like if my sister and her friends didn't come there would be no-one there. Dave, the new drummer, has some good, simple ideas about promotion which should hopefully kick the others into gear a bit too. We'll see how the next few gigs go, they are at indie nightclubs rather than band rooms, and I fear we may get eaten alive. We certainly need another shopping expedition before then to get some cool threads happening. The boys are getting there but they still need some work I think.

I miss Adam. Already. It has been two days...

I feel like we are closer than ever at the moment (well apart from being 2 states apart) and I love that feeling. I think I coped pretty well with the shock of discovering a big part of his life that I didn't know about (you guys, duh) and, have I said this before? feel flattered that he trusted me enough at this point in our relationship to share it with me. I decided not to read the whole back catalogue after finding a few bits and pieces that upset me - what's done is done and I am excited about the present and the future. So I will certainly be reading that!

I need to unpack. And do some washing. I can barely get to my bed at the moment for all the crap on the floor. At least I did the dishes!

I also need to take the video back. The Northern Exposure Series I DVD that I have had for about 3-4 weeks now, that I still haven't finished watching. Not that I don't absolutely love it, but December was a busy month!! And now that I have Scrubs IV to get through...

So: what's on the agenda for tomorrow?
-Put some washing on
-Practise piano first thing
-Hang the washing out - inside, it's going to thunderstorm tomorrow.
-Take the Nikon Coolpix P2 to get repaired. (Less than a year old, great little camera, but when you take a photo white horizontal lines appear on the picture, as if you have taken the photo through window with blinds on it. I think it's something serious)
-Go to the Podiatrist (corns & ingrown toenails - ew)
-Help Sandra & Lee move house (called her today to see if she needed help and was terrified that I was going to say "So, Sandra, do you need any help choosing bridesmaids - ahem, i mean, moving house?")
-Perhaps work on my resume some more (attempting to infiltrate the IT world becoming Australia's first Rockstar Ninja)
-Take the fricken DVD back and probably pay four million dollars for it. Should have just bought it instead of renting it but who knew?
-Have a nanna nap
-Get up and go to 3RRR for my graveyard shift 2am-6am.
-Come home and sleep till the afternoon.

The exciting life of an Aussie Rock Chick!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger meva said...

Awwww! Poor little Chester! Does he need another trip to the vet?

And don't be miffed about the bridesmaid thing. It means you'll be able to enjoy the wedding more anyway!

January 11, 2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

aww, poor Chester. You seem to be taking his rapid ageing quite well, I don't know how I'd cope. I suspect I'd be completely devastated.

January 11, 2007 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, the poor little tyke. Hope he's okay. How old is hey anyway?

I can understand your feelings with the bridesmaid situation, but it sounds like it is early days yet, and there is bound to be plenty of fueding and temper tantrums and sulk fests between now and the wedding, and probably a bridesmaid or two dumped... and then there you will be, all angelic and ready to step into the role and save the day ;)

I didn't know you played piano! (altho, now that I think about it... rockstar/musician... uh hello mcfly!)

deb
www.paintingwithlight.typepad.com

January 12, 2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

It's true, I don't even know why I would want to be a bridesmaid!!! Posing for all those photos instead of enjoying myself... you're right, Meva. And Deb if I change my mind and your theory is correct, I already clocked up about a million back-up-bridesmaid brownie points yesterday by helping the happy couple move house!

Chester is about 10, which is past middle aged in dog years I suppose. He seemed a bit better today, we went for a walk without incident and made a lot of friends due to his cuteness!!

Yeah, I'm a piano player, but I think I'm more of a singer at heart. Now, if I can just figure out how to stop losing my voice without being a complete hermit...

January 12, 2007 6:54 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

Glad you liked the re-gift.

:)

January 13, 2007 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home