Thursday, January 04, 2007

Wardlow Christmas Masquerade Ball

Sounds fancy, doesn't it?

Well, really just a fancy name for a house party, but boy, what a house!!

My friend Hayley moved house a few months ago - into a mansion. A bona fide mansion with three bathrooms, 8 bedrooms, sweeping balconies, servants quarters and, get this, a turret. It must have been one of the first houses in Melbourne, and even has a bell for the servants in each room!

Hayley's brother found the house up for rent, and quickly convinced Hayley and six other friends to move in. They are each paying the same rent they would pay for a regular share house, but instead they are living in luxury. Only four of them are on the lease, so if the real estate agents find out there are 8 people living there they will probably be booted out. But, as Hayley said, it's fun while it lasts.

And rather than being the run down dump you are imagining, the house is in immaculate condition. Apparently the owners are only away for a year, so have even left all the fittings intact. So there are 2m gilded mirrors, antique dining chairs, fireplace accessories (i don't even know what you call them - the screen thing and the little bellows), etc. Spotless white carpet, a brand new kitchen with truckloads of storage space and expensive appliances, a gorgeous courtyard and stunning garden... quite an incredible place. I can't believe that someone I know actually lives there!! And Hayley has the best bedroom, I would guess the master bedroom with a bay window, balcony and access to the turret. Her harp looks right at home in there. All the housemates are muso types, so I figured their Christmas Masquerade Ball would be a fun event. I invited Sash to come with me, who accepted readily.

By the time I went through the saga of picking up my gear from Pony and returning the rental car (my gear's too big to fit in my Echo), it was getting quite late. I got dressed up and met Sash at her place, not far from Hayley's. Neither of us had eaten so we found a little Indian place that was excellent. Unfortunately, by the time we got to the party, it was too late to remember Adam's Theory Of Parties Where You Don't Know Anyone. Adam's theory is: be one of the first ones there, that way you meet and bond with people as they arrive, thus by the time the party's in full swing, you know everyone. By the time we got there, most people had already arrived and were in various sections of the mansion in various states of drunkenness. Still, we commandeered Hayley's boyfriend Cam to steal us some alcohol (we forgot to bring any) and armed with a glass of pink champagne each, we found some people to chat to. One of them being Magic Tony, the magician who both Sash and I knew through Le Bop, but we didn't realise knew Hayley (not through Le Bop).

We got stuck talking to some geek engineering students and were wondering what to do when someone distracted them for a second. "Quick!" I hissed to Sash, not too subtly. "Let's go! Now!" We made a hasty getaway and found some more interesting people in the courtyard.

Callum arrived later, after he had finished work at a wine store. (Not a bottle-o, a wine store). Callum was my best friend at uni. We were in a band together for four years and bonded over shopping and girl/boy troubles. Callum used to be the gayest straight man I knew. He has gotten less gay over the years. Back then he used to work at Prada and worship the Spice Girls. I know.

Anyway Callum used to date Hayley for a while. They were a great idea on paper but a complete disaster in practice. It didn't last overly long, less than a year I think, and they have been friends ever since, but still I was nervous about him telling her he's engaged. He told me a few weeks ago but asked me not to tell Hayley, he wanted to tell her himself. Apparently though, he hadn't gotten round to it yet. Sasha, a travel agent, is booking his honeymoon, so we both had to be careful not to mention it to Hayley.

Finally the moment was right. "Hayley, I have some news,"
"What?"
"I'm getting married!"
"I SO knew you were going to say that!"
And that was that.

Phew, glad I kept it such a good secret!

After some dancing to bad 80s music (Hayley's brother is apparently addicted to Belinda Carlisle at the moment. What's with that???) Sash and I were knackered and headed home. I think I did pretty well to last as long as I did considering I had only had three hours sleep the night before!

The next day I slept till lunchtime, a badly needed catch-up, before dropping Chester off at Amber & Justin's for a Christmas-New Year holiday, bought my last Christmas present and got picked up by Sash to go to mum and dad's for Christmas Eve.

We watched Carols by Candlelight on TV while mum set the tables ready for tomorrow's "small" lunch for 18 people. It was nice, the first time both girls have been home on Christmas eve for many years. Mum and dad were very happy. Dad realised at quarter to ten that he hadn't bought any white wine for tomorrow. He had been drinking beer all evening so let me drive him in his new car to the bottle-o. We got there five minutes before closing. Lucky!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home