Thursday, January 04, 2007

Brisbane again :-)

I love Brisbane!! It makes me happy! Not only is my beautiful Adam here, but also the weather is always nice. Sunshine makes me happy. I'm a simple girl, really.

So you can imagine my disappointment when I arrived on Wednesday night to find it had been raining for several days. Mich was not impressed. She flew up on Christmas night and had been driving Adam crazy until I finally arrived two days later. Two loooong days, from what I can gather.

Adam met me at the airport and we found Mich in the apartment looking quite hot in a new white top. We were going to a "white party". Oh great. Loads of tanned, blonde, skinny Queenslanders in skimpy white frocks and singlets, and then us. White, slightly chubbier Melbournites with barely a white item between us. (If it were a black party, we would have been in our element!) Hence Mich's new top. Apparently Glen and Dan had bought it for her. They are a couple of crazy young guys who run a very successful business. Apparently they were behind the white party.

I had a pair of white pants with me (gasp! i know. but since i lost a bit of weight they look ok.). Adam didn't have a single white thing other than a business shirt, and something told us that wasn't going to be the kind of white they were looking for. He settled on a khaki shirt he looks hot in and off we went.

The party was pretty much exactly what I expected. Loads of squealing underage blonde girls in incredibly skimpy outfits (I swear, one girl had just a top on, no pants!). The guys were slightly above my expectations though, in that several of them were dressed up. There were cricket players complete with zinc across the nose, sailors, tennis players - they got quite creative. The girls just used it as an opportunity to show off their fake tan. Or possibly real, since we're in Queensland.

I was quite exhausted from travelling and Christmas and whatnot, so Adam took me home for some you-know-what, and we left Mich in the capable hands of the boys. She came home the next afternoon. Not surprised!

The following day was a pretty lazy one - Adam had to work, and I was a sloth until Mich came home. Then we met up with Paul, a friend of hers who was good value, and had Cold Rock - mmmm... Add Cold Rock to my list of reasons I love Brisbane! I think we have it in Melbourne but I'm not sure where, and certainly not walking distance from my house!!!

On Friday Mich and I clocked up some pool time (yes, the sun came out! finally!!!) and then went to see The Holiday. The ultimate chick flick. We loved it. Jack Black plays himself, as usual, and Jude Law's so cute. And I think I might have slight crushes on both Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet. *sigh*

After we met Adam in the city for dinner, Mich decided to go and say goodbye to the boys, as they are relocating their business to the UK and she wouldn't see them for "five years". Yeah right. Anyway, we let her go and walked home.

At home we had some rather intense discussions about that thing that all couples fight about... money. Adam has been working his little butt off to get him ahead, and he has been feeling like I haven't been putting in equal effort. I think I have been trying, but maybe not as hard as I possibly possibly could, so I will try harder. He made an excellent point that I need to work as hard towards achieving his goals as he does towards mine. As I've said before, I can be pretty selfish. I made sure he understood that while i have been doing lots of exciting things lately, most of them have been work-related, and haven't cost much money. I haven't been buying random things and I don't go out drinking and eating out every night. And he made sure I understood that he has not been going out or buying things at all. He has been putting all his energy into saving and catching up so that we are in a position to do fun things without having to worry.

Of course I feel bad because I am not earning anything, and my career costs money at this stage. We have talked about me working, and unless it is for a decent daily rate, we have agreed that for what I can earn, my time isn't worth it. So I just have to pull my head in and spend as little as possible, knuckle down and do as much practice as I can, help Paris in every way possible to get this band up and running and hope like hell that it starts earning something soon.

Mich came home in the middle of our "discussion", and made a discreet escape to her room to do some reading. Uncharacteristically subtle!

I feel good that we were able to have this chat in a rational way without tears or screaming. Not that we usually scream. But tears are not uncommon on my behalf. I'm not good with conflict. But we talked it out, not without emotion mind you, but in a rational, understanding way. I think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Girl said...

Cold Rock is freakin amazing...and the weirdest thing is they have just opened three stores in Melbourne...I had it for the first time in Brisbane and am totally hooked.

January 09, 2007 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home