Saturday, January 06, 2007

Give Up.

Staying at Adam's has, for better or worse, re-introduced me to the world of cable TV.

At first I was excited by having two 24-hour music channels, as I am one of those music freaks that hangs out for Rage on the weekends. Unfortunately the repetitiveness of the two channels in question is already starting to do my head in after only a week. If only I were in charge, I would do such a better job!!! It has always been my dream to guest program Rage... one day...

Anyway, the reason for this blog is to vent my disgust at the latest Aussie shite to be added to hi-rotation. "Don't Give Up" is the offending piece of codswallop. A charity record, it seems, delivered to us by Shannon "Oz Idol" Noll and Natalie "Rogue Traders/Neighbours" Bassingthwaighte.

Now I expect nothing less than rubbish from young Nollsie. I couldn't stand him on Idol and I can't stand him now. I must say I'm grudgingly impressed that he's still around, but, well, people are idiots.

Natalie though. I have been extremely impressed by the path she has followed recently. Rather than shimmying her way into obscurity as so many soap starlets tend to do after their first single, she has forged a career as a plausible pop vixen fronting the Rogue Traders with oomph and pizazz. Now poor Izzy stands to lose every ounce of credibility she may have had with this abominable contribution.

Now possibly it is not a bad song. I say this because, with research, I have discovered that this is the third time this song has been recorded. And the first two were by fairly notable artists: Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush in 1986, and Bono & Alicia Keys in 2005. Who may have done a good job, I'm not sure because I don't remember either version. Which may say something!

But this recording is the cheesiest, most insincere piece of crap I've seen in a long time. The video makes me want to vomit. Enough said.

11 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

That song makes me want to vomit too! I cracked up laughing at the film clip... so so contrived!

January 06, 2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

I can't comment on the song in question (although I was fairly disappointed to hear that Natalie had teamed up with moron Noll when that memo first crossed my desk a few weeks ago), but I'm glad - and even slightly surprised - to hear you say something positive about Ms Bassingthwaighte. I thought the popular opinion in "trendy" circles (such as those you obviously inhabit, dear Rock Chick) was to rubbish and deride her. I quite like her and enjoy her Rogue Traders gear. I just thought I was in the minority.

Nice of you to speak out!

January 06, 2007 5:34 PM  
Blogger TryingTimes said...

Gasp!

Can't remember the Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush original?

:-)

I'll mail it to you in MP4 format if you like?

January 06, 2007 7:45 PM  
Blogger kiki said...

just reading about it hurts

January 08, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

Yes Deb, vomit is exactly the right word!!!

Bevis It's nice to hear that
a) you consider me "trendy"
and b) i could surprise you by being decidedly untrendy!
Not saying that Rogue Traders are my favourite band or anything, but I think they are good at what they do and young Nat clearly has more talent than some of the other poor Neighbours popstar wannabes. I'd rather judge people on their merits than blindly bash anyone who is "popular"... that would be a bit hypocritical I think since I wouldn't mind my band to be a little bit popular at least!!!

And TT... I was but a wee thing when the original came out - so perhaps you could forgive me?? Mind you, Babushka was my favourite song when I was... four??? Perhaps it just wasn't that memorable!!! Yes please do email if only to exorcise the horrible Shannon Nob (sic) version. As Kiki said, it really does hurt!

January 08, 2007 11:32 PM  
Blogger TryingTimes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 09, 2007 4:31 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Girl said...

Dancing With The Stars final??

It's ringing a (rather unpleasant) bell...her somewhat breathless vocals teamed with his (best of) country boy vocals...

As for the film clip...I haven't seen it...but am waiting for an empty Sunday morning when I am idly channel surfing and bored out of my fabulously opinionated brain and need some considerable finger pointing and uncontrollable laughing to take place.

Thanks for the smirks!

MG

January 09, 2007 4:02 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Willie Nelson and Sinead O'Connor do it also on Willie's Across the Borderland album where I have a soft spot for it. If done well it sort of wins you over despite the cheesiness of the lyrics on the page but its also very easy to do badly. Havent heard this new one but I'm not so surprised its the latter ;-)

January 10, 2007 7:58 AM  
Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

Wow, I will have to check that one out. I had no idea there were so many versions of this song!!! And I still can't believe anyone even thought of teaming Nats & Nollsie - such a bizarre pairing. Not believable in the slightest!!

January 11, 2007 12:48 AM  
Blogger Mars said...

as is the case with most original versions, the one done by pater gabriel and kate bush is UNPARALELLED. i freakin' dig that song, and shannon noll and bassingthwaite getting onto it is nothing short of a TRAGESTY.

fin.

January 13, 2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

Hehe ... Mars is cool!

January 13, 2007 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home