Thursday, January 04, 2007

Byte into Christmas

Wednesday was also the last Byte Into IT show for the year. This is the 3RRR show I push buttons for every week.

Last year I made my debut on 3RRR airwaves on the Byte xmas show. I was invited into the studio to observe, having just commenced my panelling training. During a lull in conversation I popped a champagne cork, completely throwing the presenters and causing all-round chaos.

This year I was in the driver's seat, and another volunteer who has been helping out with the show was taking over the observational duties. Unfortunately no champagne incidents, but both she and I did inadvertently go to air when giggling at a particular funny joke one of the guys made. My sister told me later she heard female voices laughing in the background a few times. Whoops!

It was a particularly entertaining show, with the presenters giving their computing and technology highlights of the year and being generally quite funny. In a sort of nerdy way, but still funny. There was absolutely NO snickering about the name of Nintendo's new game console. It is pronounced "wee". No snickering at all. Promise.

Afterwards we went to the pub across the road (this pub would be closed down if it weren't for RRR moving in across the road!) for a feed and chat before wishing each other our merry christmases and getting on our merry ways.

I had a gig to go to.

Tom, our frontman, has been playing bass with another band for a while. They have had one gig, which I couldn't make it to, so I was keen to get along this time and check it out.

Unfortunately the show was a bit of a debacle, with PA problems, bands not playing on time, crazy nightclub lighting, and I only got to see about four songs before I had to leave. To go back to RRR.

I had a show to do.

The day before, I had been asked to do a fill on boxing day. I was going to be away. "Ok, then," said the ever optimistic program manager, "what about tomorrow night? Midnight till 2am." "Alright." I agreed, happy to be able to help out.

The show was a bit sloppy - the music was ok, but I didn't have anything prepared to say, and I found I wasn't thinking well on my feet that late at night. Afterwards (yes he was still working at 2am!) the program manager burned a CD of the show and asked me to pay particular attention to two things. It seems I use "ahhhh" to punctuate my sentences. Which doesn't sound good on radio. And I need to preview the tracks and work out how long I have to intro them before the singing starts. Talking over the singing is a no-no.

So with that constructive criticism in mind I tortured myself listening to the show on my way home and finally crawled into bed at around 3am. Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home