Monday, February 12, 2007

Let me tell you about my weekend...

On Saturday night the band had a gig. Soundcheck was at 6:40pm (don't ask why!) and I was aiming to get there at 6.

Five outfit changes and three makeup redos later, I arrive at the venue at exactly 6:40. That's why I was aiming for 6.

Perfect timing though, I got one of the boys to lug all my heavy shit upstairs while I carried the small stuff. Ric laughed when he saw me. I couldn't work out why. He said "nice outfit," and laughed. "Are you being sarcastic?" I asked. He said no but I didn't believe him. Later he told me it was because my dress matched my hair. He was trying to work out whether I got the dress to match the hair or vice versa. He was right, actually, I tried on the dress immediately after getting my hair coloured, and the fact that it matched my hair sealed the deal.

So we soundchecked and went for dinner and for once Paris was reasonably on time to meet us for dinner. We had some stuff to discuss over dinner.

We chose a restaurant in Chinatown at random, and the menu actually had some really interesting, yummy looking food on it. Weird system though - you had to write your own order down along with any special instructions on an order pad, and then flag down the waitress, who would enter it into a computer. She came back two minutes later saying they had run out of #11 and #14. Both dumplings. Bummer.

We settled on fried wontons and Paris pulled out mock-ups for the album artwork. We were all seriously impressed, especially since we were not particularly happy with the previous EP 's artwork. This process of having several samples made up for us to consider seems much better than having just the one design to try and make changes on. You can see some of the artist's work here.

We also talked about our plans for the next few months, which boil down to keeping on working on building a live following. Whoa. Is that a sentence? Anyway, making sure we pick the right shows, playing the right venues with the right bands, and making sure the show is the best it can possibly be. And get the album finished and try to find interested parties to finance the release. But realistically, no-one's going to be that interested until we have a really strong live following. And then they will come to us, not the other way round. So that's where the focus has to be.

Two of the boys surprised me by saying they had kicked a bunch more money into the band account so it looks like we will be able to pay the producer, the manager, the visual artist & the drummer in the short term. Phew!

Alright, alright, enough of the business crap. How was the show???


Well... probably depends who you ask. But personally I had a great one and the audience seemed to love it. Several broken guitar strings were problematic for Tom (typically, the one time he didn't bring a spare guitar) but in terms of pacing and energy I reckon we pretty much nailed it. And I could hear my vocals for once!!! Way to go, Stu the sound guy!!

Got another humungous bruise on my leg from the tambourine. If I keep this up I will never wear a bikini again. Seriously considering a steel thigh implant.

The band after us were a bit too cock rock for my liking and surprisingly, too cock rock for my bogan cousin & his mates' liking too! So I spent their set chatting & drinking and realising that - I probably shouldn't drive home. So I made enquiries about leaving my gear at the venue for the night and continued drinking & chatting. This seems to be happening more frequently these days. Perhaps I am becoming a rock star. Or maybe just an alcoholic...

Well the rest of the night is a bit of a blur but I know I met my sister's new man, made friends with some random guys and accompanied them to a different club in the city. Lost them, made friends with a guy with a bunch of metal in his face. Must've talked to him for a long time and I remember dancing and then deciding he was getting a little full on and leaving. Back to the venue where the party was still kicking on. Found Paris who offered to drive me to somewhere I could get a cab from. Drove me four city blocks - about two minutes. Then talked at me for 20 minutes. Oh, I was probably crapping on too, but in my fuzzy memory it feels like she talked at me. Boy problems I think. She then proceeded to hail me a cab from inside her car and I went home. My bedside clock said 6am. Jesus.

Sunday. Hungover. Tired.

Had set alarm for 10am to give Chester his medication. Hit snooze for 25 mins. By the time he got his tablets he was wheezing and panting like an old man. Which he would continue to do for the rest of the day. Good one. Go out and get shitfaced and then almost kill the dog. Nice.

Wanted to go back to bed but needed the loo first. Then needed peanut butter toast. Super crunchy. Ended up on the couch watching Sex & The City. For 12 hours. Except for an interlude where I had to pick up my car from the city. And eat a Bacon Double Cheeseburger Deluxe meal. Regular. Yuck. For some reason I always crave these when hungover. Then regret them immediately. Idiot.

Completely blew off the St Kilda festival - no way I could deal with crowds and more public transport and the wind in my state. It was SO windy!! I thought my bus stop was going to get blown away when I was going to the city!

So I spent the day with Carrie & co feeling fairly sorry for myself. What a sook.

There were a few serious questions going through my head though. Such as: Why do I do this to myself? How was Adam going to feel about me spending a crazy fun night hanging out with multiple random guys until dawn? What happened to all the cash in my purse? How much and what did I actually drink? What actually went on between the hours of midnight and 6am? Why do I always have these crazy nights on my own instead of with Adam? Was my gear/car going to still be there when I went to pick them up? Was Chester going to make it through the night? Who will Carrie end up with: Mr Big, Aiden or neither? (don't tell me!! I haven't seen it yet)...

Some of them were answered in time:

  • Adam was fairly ok about it but we talked at length about it and I think we need to have a big crazy night together sometime soon. And live in the same state as each other soon.
  • I had given a chunk of cash to the sound guy as we hadn't been paid by the venue yet. This will be reimbursed - yay! So I didn't actually spend that much... which means...
  • I didn't pay for that many drinks. Still don't know how much I actually drank. I know there was a significant quantity of the house white consumed. It was the nicest house wine I've ever had!! Seriously.
  • The car and gear were both fine.
  • Chester was heaps better on Monday.
  • And yes, I still don't know who she ends up with...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home