Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Yesterday and Today

Yesterday was a beautiful day.

Really hot & intermittently sunny, the nice dry kind of hot, not the crappy muggy kind of hot. It got to 36c I think, just how I like it.

Late in the afternoon I took Chester for a walk to post some letters, coming back via the beach. I'm not sure if I've mentioned yet that the beach is virtually at the end of my street. A dodgy man-made beach with water as flat as a pancake, but a beach nonetheless.

We took our usual route down the walking track, diverting onto the sand where I removed my thongs and headed down to the water. Chester looked at me doubtfully. He does not like sand or water. He likes paths and straight lines. I think he is borderline OCD.

I stood with my feet in the icy water, soaking up the heat of the day and watching other people play with their real dogs. Chester stood at the water's edge, looking at me as if to say "can we go yet?". Occasionally one of the real dogs would come up to say hello, and Chester would be mean to them as usual. They soon got the message. He's such a grumpy old man.

I took a few photos on my phone of Chester, my feet in the water, and the mysterious plume of smoke on the horizon.



Today was not so photogenic.

Again, really hot and dry, but a horrible, overblown, nasty sort of hot. The northerly felt like it was blowing straight off the desert, even though there isn't one for hundreds of kilometres. The sky was dark and dirty, like it would pour down muddy rain at any moment.

I actually didn't realise how hot it was until quite late in the day. Google got the forecast wrong again, and it wasn't until I had to visit my outside loo at about 4pm that I felt the heat. I decided to take Chester to the beach again - he seems to sleep for about 23 and a half hours a day, so I try to exercise him at least once a day.

There were a few families scattered along the shore, I chose a spot not too close to any and again headed down to the water. An energetic setter bounded towards us and Chester bared his teeth in a low growl. Friendly. At least it meant the dog didn't clamber all over me with its wet paws. I don't love wet dog smell.

Chester laid down in the sand this time, surprising me. He will spend the rest of the night getting the sand out no doubt. I think he realised it was the only way to get cool without going in the water. He walked up quite close to it at one point, a few cms, but when a wave threatened to lap his paws he retreated. I toyed with the idea of splashing him but if I did that I'd never get him this close to it again. For a dog with such a tiny brain he has a good memory for some things. Like the vet.

I decided it was home time just in time. As we were walking back the wind picked up and it became almost unbearable outside. Chester picked a fight with a big, scary looking dog. Chester is a 2kg ball of fluff with no testicles. I don't know why he does it. Maybe it's small man's syndrome.

Just before we had a power surge and I think it's going to rain soon. No plans for tonight, looks like another round of Sex & the City DVDs & maybe some keyboard practice. I got a new amp to try out yesterday. A Hartke KM100. It sounds pretty good but I'm not sure whether it has the balls to cut it with the rest of the band. I need a new amp because the one I have at the moment is a Yamaha KS100 which is a huge heavy thing that I can't get into the car. Probably weighs about 60kg. We got it for free ages ago and it sounds fantastic. It's just a bitch to move. I'm hoping the Hartke is good enough because i get a really good price through my uncle. If not the Roland KC350 is exactly what I need, I will just have to pay a bit more and get that one.

Anyway, enough tech talk... here comes the storm. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home